Find out if you need insurance through the rental car company.
When you go to rent a car, you will be asked if you would like to purchase rental car insurance. While this protection might seem like a great idea, thereâ's a chance that you donâ't need this coverage. In fact, your existing auto insurance in Oakland, California
might already offer all the protection you need. Learn more about rental car insurance and find out what coverages your personal auto policy already offers.
Rental Car Insurance
There are four standard types of insurance options that car rental companies will offer. They are:
1) Collision Damage Waiver
- This type is insurance will ensure that the rental company will not hold you financially responsible if the car you have rented is damaged or stolen.
2) Supplemental Liability Protection
- If you get into an accident, purchasing this type of insurance will ensure that you are covered for the damages and injuries you may have caused to another party.
3) Personal Accident Coverage
- This type of coverage will cover your injuries or death, or the injuries or death of the passengers in your rental car.
4) Personal Effects Coverage
- This type of coverage will reimburse you for any personal items that are stolen out of your rental car.
Whatâ's covered by my personal auto policy?
Itâ's probable that your existing auto policy offers some of the same coverages as the rental company. For instance, most standard auto policies provide liability coverage that extends to cover rental cars. Some policies might even offer collision, comprehensive, and medical payments coverage that apply to rentals. However, itâ's important to keep in mind that coverage differs from policy to policy. So, make sure you contact your auto insurance provider to learn about the extent of your coverages. If you find out that your policy doesnâ't offer the protection you need, consider getting coverage through the rental car company.
Ultimately, whether or not you need rental car insurance will depend on what your existing auto policy already covers.Â Looking for the right auto insurance
to provide the comprehensive coverage that you need?Â For help finding the right policies, contact the professionals at Cook, Disharoon & Greathouse, Inc. Located in Oakland & Pleasant Hill, California, we serve all your personal and commercial insurance needs.